Our family had fun learning about how the early Saints made bricks. Austin was thrilled to get his very own brick.
Fortunately, we were able to visit Carthage Jail, where Allie's 4th-great grandpa, Hyrum Smith, was martyred along with Joseph Smith. It was a sobering experience to be where the Prophet spent his last days. I had not realized that the jailer, recognizing Joseph and his brethren to be good men, did not make them stay in the jail cell but gave them the family bedroom instead.
This is the actual door from when Joseph and Hyrum were here. You can see the bullet hole in the door that killed Hyrum. I'm amazed and grateful that the door was not replaced when a family eventually bought this jail house and converted it into their private home.
Welch Family standing in front of a statue honoring Joseph and Hyrum Smith.
I really enjoyed walking through the woman's pavilion where statues represent the importance of women through all phases of their lives. I feel blessed to be a woman. I know that as a daughter of God, I am loved, needed and infinitely important. I feel blessed to belong to a church that honors women, and teaches of their importance and value. I'm excited to teach Liv about her divine role as a woman.
We went on a wagon ride and a carriage ride--an hour long carriage ride that is and the kids did great! Just when our kids are getting so well behaved, we decided to have another. We'd sure hate to keep the peace.
The beautiful Nauvoo Temple. Fortunately Nathan and I were each able to go through the temple while we were there.
Our last activity in Nauvoo was to go on a wagon ride pulled by a team of oxen. We were able to see the team get yolked together. My favorite part of this experience was walking down the trail of hope and reading accounts of the pioneer saints as they moved west. What a powerful heritage to draw strength from. Such determined, strong saints and such courageous women.
No comments:
Post a Comment