Friday, October 31, 2008

Best of all he loved the fall

Best of all he loved the fall

the leaves yellow on cottonwoods

leaves floating on trout streams

and above the hills

the high blue windless skies

…Now he will be a part of them forever.

Hemingway -- 1939.

Olivia Grace sleeping on a beautiful Fall evening.

We certainly love the Fall. When Allison was in 2nd or 3rd grade, her class copied poems into their journals and the following was one of her favorites:

I like the fall,
The mist and all
I like the night owl's
Lonely call--
And wailing sound
Of wind around.

I like the gray
November day
And bare, dead boughs
That coldly sway
Against my pane.
I like the rain

I like to sit
And laugh at it--
And tend
My cozy fire a bit.
I like the fall
The mist and all.

--Dixie Willson

Now I have a story to tell about a special little boy named Austin (self-named "little tiger") and his furry friend Chaco (who was appropriately given a new name by Austin, "tiny swiper).

Once upon a time, there lived a boy named Little Tiger. Little Tiger was a happy boy who loved to play with ladybugs.








Little Tiger also loved to play with his friend Tiny Swiper. It was a beautiful Fall afternoon.

All of the sudden, Little Tiger got hungry so his mommy made him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches make Little Tiger happy.
Unfortunately, Tiny Swiper did not get a sandwich even though he loved peanut butter and jelly just as much as Little Tiger.
So Tiny Swiper stood on his hind legs and begged.
When that didn't work he stuck out his tongue and begged some more.

With his previous efforts in vain, Tiny Swiper decided he must take more drastic measures if he was to get a piece of that tasty peanut butter and jelly sandwich.


Ready. . . Set . . . JUMP!

(click on this picture to enlarge it. I truly think it is an amazing picture of Chaco jumping--you can see his little jaws all around the sandwich.)


With a Swiper-sized bite missing, Little Tiger continued to enjoy the rest of his lunch. Both friends played happily ever after.




Some random picutres we've taken recently:








As we were leaving the party, Austin heard music so we had to stop and bust a move.

Mommy and kids at the zoo.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

What a darling post! I looove the picture of "little swiper" eating the sandwich... too funny. I think you could probably enter that in a contest - it's that good!!

It's fun to see pictures of your family and what you're up to! Nebraska looks beautiful in the fall!

Shane and Amy Jo said...

What cute kiddos! Those pics of Austin & Chaco are crazy! Way to go on catching those moments.

Will you be coming this way for the holidays???

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

Looks like you are having so much fun! And the kids are looking so cute! Thanks for the update!